Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Hello Birdies

Our big project these last few days has been the Bird Cage/Avery Make Over.   Technically this is Miss M's Christmas present but it has turned into a whole family thing.  Miss M has been bird obsessed for a few years now, we have had budges before but I don't like them in the house (being the neat freak that I am, Mum!)  We all have that niggling level of discomfort about caged birds so we thought we would create a nicer, out door habitat and try again.   I got this old cage on our local garage sale site,  we wrapped it with a finer wire and have found the perfect spot.

Before 
After
I think I might like to live here if I was a pet shop budgie.


Via Gumtree I found a local breeder with baby birds for sale only $15 each.  I love it when all your Christmas Gift Organising Stars align... it was meant to be.  The breeder lives about 10 mins away from us, so we all piled into the car and had a family outing to his house.   It was bird heaven, he had been breeding birds since boyhood (which was a long time ago) and had all sorts for sale.  It was tempting to get something more exotic but budgies really are at our level at the moment.  Oh, he also had a great after sales policy - if they die or fly away, don't worry, just pop back & I'll give you another, what parent doesn't love that!


Not sure of their names yet, we are still at that stage where
 we come up with a new name every hour, on the hour.
After we had safely ensconced our new birds in their home the we all sat around watching them for hours like it was a fire place or a fish tank.     


2 comments:

  1. Looks lovely - well done all ,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birds are fascinating to watch I agree. That is a fabulous present and family activity. It turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete