Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Big Old Crazy Quilt

I have finally finished my big crazy quilt.  This quilt started by accident many months ago when I started to sew together lots of scraps that were too small to do much else with.  The blocks grew and grew unsure of what to do with them I kept sewing.
A crazy block in progress.
After a few months I had a beautiful stretch of fabric but still didn't know what to do with it.  Some friends suggested a quilt but I thought they were mad, that would be way beyond my skill levels.  But the more I thought about it the better the idea became.  I got some pointers from my local quilters and brazenly thought "Yeah I can do that." So I did and I have to say I learnt A LOT!  It really isn't that easy to make a quilt and you can't cut corners - which is the way I like to sew.  Any proper sewer would be mortified to see my appalling sewing: lack of straight lines, no proper basting, my just make it up as you go approach and that thing called ironing.  My poor Nanna especially.  However I am proud of getting it finished and my Nanna would have been too.
The underside never to be seen.  Next time I will stretch and tape each layer to the floor to prevent this puckering.
We now have a new family game - Which is your favorite bit? and What was made out of /Who has something in this fabric?  I can't wait to do another now, it is addictive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment